Tuesday 8 April 2014

Croque Monsieur in Rouen

I can't believe it's been 3 years since my last Croque Monsieur entry! I've been a lazy blogger in this time. But then I have been studying on top of full time working (i.e. teacher work load working) for 2 years. Nevertheless, here we are again, with another entry into The Croque Monsieur Challenge. This entry comes from a cafe where the same culinary delights were tasted last year, but alas, I failed to blog the event. The hotel bar/brasserie 'Les Initiés' in Rouen, was the choice location, having tasted their delights last year. It's a small, friendly and casually French 'eaterie' which serve a range of 'Kir' flavour options. Despite revelling in its  onto the serious business of Croque Monsieur rating:

Location: Rouen 3 April 2014
Rating: 7/10
Comments: Great solid 'Croque' in taste, texture and presentation. Egg on top (strictly this is a Croque Madame challenge...) was garnished well. Salad: good range of colour and leaf type. Alas, the chips let down the main as they were slightly over cooked. The accompanying Kir was unfortunately disappointing. However, this was my error. I was intrigued by the range of flavours on offer, and in a moment of spontaneity, (I am reminded why I spontaneity isn't always a good thing), I chose the most exotic option: 'coquelicot' which, after an initial enquiry, was revealed as poppy flavour. I plumped for this feeling mature enough to embark on such a gastronomic journey, only to be disappointed. It leaves an aniseed after taste in the mouth, leaving one to feel that you are drinking a cough medicine. This unfortunate, and personally inflicted error, spoiled the overall round off of the experience. Note to self: stick to Cassis next time i.e. don't mess with a classic. Nevertheless, despite being undermined by my alcoholic choice error, I still retain that the chips and accompanying beverage do form an important part of the Croque experience. I thus award this entry as 7/10. 

No comments:

Foreign Delights

  • Du vin!
  • Emmental
  • Gratin Dauphinoise

Foreign Favourites

  • Lyon, France
  • Bejing, China
  • Lausanne, Switzerland

Favourite French Films

  • La Haine
  • L'Appartement
  • Ma Vie en Rose
  • La Reine Margot